At this point, most of you already know what is going on with our little
Matheson- In that case, this note will serve as somewhat of a summary for you. For the rest of you, this will come as a shock - as it did to us on Friday.
We have taken Matheson to several different specialist at Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital over the course of the last month in attempt to figure out the origin of some "buise-like" splotches that he has on his body. As a result of a skin biopsy, we got a phone call on Thursday evening telling us of "suspicious cells" in the biopsy. We were instructed to bring Matheson back in first thing the next morning for a series of additional tests and procedures. After spending the entire day at the hospital and many many tests, we were presented with a most terrifying diagnosis - leukemia. As you can imagine, Matt and I were shell-shocked. No parent ever imagines they would hear this about their child. Fortuantely, his numbers (blood count and bone marrow) looked good and we were able to bring him home with us. This time has allowed us to contact several other doctors, enlist the help of family and friends, and spend some quality time as a family being as normal as possible before things change drastically.
Currently, we are in a bit of a "holding pattern" as we research doctors, hospitals and various treatment protocols in attempts to make the best possible decision for Matheson. Please pray specifically that Matt and I will have peace with a decision. While we are fortuante to have this time (and Matheson's good levels, etc...), it is also just delaying the obvious - we are ready to make a decision, start treatment and face the music. We will visit Duke on Monday and intend to make a decision after our time there. As soon as a decision is made regarding where Matheson will be treated, I will update you all!
We covet your prayers during this time- We are honored to serve a great and mighty God. We cling to the many truths in His precious word. We know for a fact that it was God himself who created Matheson, and knit him together perfectly in my womb. He knows ALL of his days - the beginning and the end. Therefore, none of this is a mistake. It is all a part of His plan - Matt and I desire earnestly to fulfill God's purpose through this life experience. We ask you to join us in prayer, not only for the healing of our precious baby boy but, also for strength and wisdom so that we can shine for Him in the midst of this darkness. Pray that the Lord would lead us to the right place, and the right doctors to treat Matheson best. If there are options to his treatment, please pray that the Lord would make His way clear and that Matt and I would be able to
stand on that decision with no looking back or second guessing ourselves. Thank you again for your prayers and your friendship!